Business Law, Public Law, Communication Law, Media Law, Advertising and Intellectual Property Law, Arbitration.
Sami Touma is the co-founder and managing partner of the Eptalex-MEG Legal Services in Dubai, and the founder and manager of Touma Law Firm in Lebanon in 1994.
Throughout his career, he has been providing a variety of public and private law related services to a number of international, Middle Eastern, and local clients. His key qualifications extend to a wide range of business matters such as venture development and establishment, negotiation and contract development, media- related matters, such as media policy formulation, drafting of related laws and regulations. Sami has a broad overview of the media landscape in the MENA region and was a pioneer in this area since 1985 when he was the legal counsel of the first non-governmental TV broadcaster in the region. An active player in developing media related legislations and regulatory mechanisms in the Middle East, Sami has an in depth understanding of the day-to-day functioning of the media, advertising and entertainment industries, its major stake holders and the latest tendencies therein.
Specifically, Sami’s experience includes:
- Business Law: He incorporated various companies and startups, negotiated and structured a variety of local and transnational partnerships and reviewed the legal framework of foreign investment in Cuba further to the adoption of the Cuban law on foreign investment N. 118/2014. He also initiated and supervised the preparation of the Arabic version of the laws, decrees and regulations relevant to foreigners looking to invest in Cuba.
- Media Policy: He developed a variety of media-related draft laws in Lebanon, including “TV and Radio Broadcasting”, “Creation of the Audiovisual Media Union”, “Audiovisual Media and Elections”. In addition, he worked on a draft “Code of Ethics” for a Pan-Arab TV broadcaster.
- Communication & Intellectual Property: He negotiated and drafted for thirty years, agreements of various types such as production, licensing, acquisition, development, distribution, exploitation, management, etc, in a wide range of related fields, notably in media industry (TV, radio, film), new media research (represents a leading global market and public affairs research group of companies), music, entertainment, (events, artists management, etc), sports, publishing, advertising (media representation, sponsorship, merchandising, endorsement).
- Telecoms: He assisted in the assessment of the BOT mobile operator’s contracts in Lebanon and later in the conciliation and mediation efforts between the Government of Lebanon and the mobile operators, and ended up participating in the works of the ad hoc committee designated for recommending legal and regulatory reforms for the telecommunications sector in Lebanon.
- Special Economic Zones: He developed draft laws and related decrees pertaining to “Special Economic Zones” for the governments of Egypt, Jordan and Syria.
- Arbitration: He represented clients in various arbitral proceedings, particularly in DIAC (Dubai International Arbitration Centre) proceedings.
- Conference and Events: He attended a variety of reputable international events, such as the Annenberg School for Communications & Markle Foundation (Bellagio, 2006), and participated as lecturer in other regional, and local events such as WIPO, CIPE/AL-AHRAM (El-Ghouna, 2006), UNESCO and IRAKI Communications and Media Commission (Amman, Jordan, 2007), the Deutsche Welle Global Media Forum (2009), the Cuban Lebanese Economic Forum (Beirut, 2015), the Lebanese Ministry of Economy and Trade, the Saint-Joseph University, the Beirut Bar Association, etc.He currently is a member of the “ALAI” (Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale).
He was admitted to the Beirut Bar Association in 1981.
Sami holds a “Master’s Degree in Private and Public Law” from the Saint-Joseph University (Beirut) and the University of Lyon (France), as well a “Certificate in International Legal Studies” from the University of the Pacific-Mc George School of Law.
Arabic, English, French.